Monday, August 30, 2010

The Night Life

Upon having my first 4-day weekend here in Korea, I ventured with a few of the officers at my unit who decided to take me under their wing. One night these three young captains gave me a call and told me they were going up to Daegu to stop at the big PX and go grab dinner somewhere. We departed Waegwan at 3:30pm and didn't find our way home until 3:30a.m. It was quite an interesting night to say the least.

Two of the captains I traveled with are new to the unit, like myself, while the other is getting ready to leave in about three weeks, so he volunteered to show us all around. After driving in a car through 45 minutes of traffic, which let me say is scarier in a car then on a bus like I have been riding on in my past trips, we finally made it to base. After a quick stop we departed the base and went to park in downtown. As we got out and started walking, I began to see just how big the city is and how much downtown has to offer. Every building seemed to be either a bar, a restaurant or a clothing/shoe store. There also seemed to be just as much in varieties of restaurants as you see in the states. Thai, Chinese, Sushi, Italian, Mexican, and American food with of course many Korean restaurants as well, lined the streets. We went to a place called the Holy Grail which is a restaurant owned by some folks from Canada who serve Tex-Mex food, I know very random but it was pretty delicious so I was satisfied.

After dinner we went out walking and low and behold we come to a small little walk up beverage stand. However this isn't any ordinary beverage stand it, it is one that serves the equivalent of adult Capri Sun's. For only 4,000 wan, which is about $3.75 you can get your very own custom made cocktail in a clear plastic bag with a straw stuck out the top just like a Capri Sun. Once you get your beverage you taste it and if it is not strong enough they add more liquor into it free of charge. And with no open container or public intoxication laws people can just walk around all night with their drink. This concept was pretty crazy to me, but my friends were adamant about bringing the concept back to the states to make a profit.

We soon made our way to a small little bar, probably only able to fit about 30 people. The great thing about this bar was that they have games to play...that's right while you sit there and sip on your cosmo, or beverage of choice you can play the great game of Jenga! Not going to lie, I was definitely the champion at my table, never losing a game all night which is amazing with my shaky hands but I am too competitive to lose. At this point I had one of the most, memorable things of my life happen to me I think. This group of 4 Korean girls came in and sat at the table next to ours. After a few minutes they pulled out a birthday cake for one of the girls and as they lit a candle for her to make a wish, a happy birthday song began to play in the bar. This wasn't just any happy birthday song though, it was the 1991 rendition of Happy Birthday that the New Kids on the Block sing. Not only do I love that band but besides for a tape my sister and I had growing up I don't think I have ever heard it played anywhere. They guys I was with thought I was crazy as I broke into song but I couldn't pass the moment up so I belted every high note along with Jordan Knight and felt truly happy! And just when you think the night couldn't have gotten any better, the girls leaned over and gave us a huge piece of their cake to share! I love Korea!

A little while later we traveled to a more "American/military" bar, where you guessed it the majority of the people there were soldiers. But still it was nice, it reminded me of a bar in a college town back home and wait for it...they played only 80's songs. Again such a great night! After awhile I had to go outside to get some air cause it was packed in that place, and as I was walking out the next surprise of my night came. Standing in front of me was this guy Tony, he was a lieutenant at my unit from Fort Hood. He was one of the guys that was a part of my pseudo family there. This was just unbelievable to me, here we are half way around the world in a city of over 6 million people at some random bar and I run into a buddy. I mean I know the Army is small but what a night!

Before driving home we also ran into one of the largest bachelor parties I have ever seen. The way we knew the party was so big was that each guy out had a t-shirt with the bachelor's picture on it. Turned out it was a whole group of ESL teachers from Seoul who had come down for the weekend party. They were from all over the states and Canada so it was fun to talk to them as well. We were invited to tag along to their next spot but seeing how it had somehow become 3am we decided it was probably time to head back.

So off we went...a two hour trip turned into 12 but it was a fun time had by all. The rest of my vacation days have been spent sleeping, doing laundry, spending a few hours at the office, and watching season 1 of How I met Your Mother...thank goodness for only three days of work this week and then wait for it....another 4-day vacation for Labor Day! Can't wait :)


No comments:

Post a Comment