Monday, August 16, 2010

Cultural Awareness


August 16, 2010

During my weekend vacation here in Yongsan, I decided to relax in my spare time by watching season 6 of The Office which is one of my favorite television series. As I was looking at the in-processing schedule yesterday, I noticed that this morning's topic for the briefings were all revolving around Korean culture in some form or fashion. I recalled one of my all time favorite episodes of The Office that was titled "Cultural Awareness." The boss, Steve Carrell, plays an off the wall character that says anything and everything that is possibly offensive especially in this particular episode. Although I laugh every time I see see the episode, Steve Carrell's character in that episode does resemble a lot of American's stereotypes and viewpoints on other cultures. Many times I am shocked and appalled by these similar types of conversations or jokes that I hear come out of my fellow soldier's mouth, wondering to myself "are they serious?"

Because I so often hear derogatory remarks coming from my battle buddies, I was excited to see that cultural awareness wasn't just one of the online courses I had to take but that it would be an entire day's itinerary before incoming soldiers were sent to their new units.

I arrived today to a classroom filled with 183 other soldiers ready to take on the new day. There were definite grumbles from the crowd regarding the topic that would be presented during the entire morning. But I have to say I think most were pleasantly surprised by the speaker who delivered the classes. Her name was Ms. Kim, she is Korean and works for the 8th Army G9 office in Yongsan (for those of you not military this is the Cultural Affairs Office for a Division of the Army). Ms. Kim gave us a brief overview of the Korean culture, you know the do's and don'ts. She taught us some basic phrases and gave us lessons on Korean history, currency, demographics, religion, food, alcohol, transportation system and economics. I know what you are thinking... how could she fit this all into a few hours? All I can say is she is very good at what she does despite having to use the few Army mandated, ridiculously corny videos that were thrown into the lessons. There was just the right amount of information to get someone off to a positive start in a new country/culture and then provided follow on information for classes you could take at each base to learn more about the culture and language. Needless to say I was highly impressed as I think many were around me who came in with an attitude of, "oh great, another boring briefing." It also made me hopeful that very few Michael Scott (Steve Carrell's character on The Office) comments would enter the workplace, that is about Koreans at least.

Here's my takeaway points from today:

1. I am more excited now then I was before to learn all I can in this next year about the culture and everything that encompasses it. Ms. Kim made me believe that into the village where I will be living and even in the bigger cities, that Koreans will be as intrigued by me as an American as I will be by them. I really do hope there will be many mutual benefits for those who I cross paths with and I to teach each other about our different countries and cultures.

2. How amazing is it that I will have the chance to learn about a culture that is over 5000 years old! I know I have traveled to countries in Europe and India and Iraq, but still any country that surpasses our brief history of a couple hundred of years is still so intriguing to me.

3. One of my favorite things that I already knew but am excited to experience is the respect and reference given to elders in this country. I feel it is something that our culture could really learn from. It is just so great how the younger generations look up to the older ones and know that they have wisdom and knowledge to impart on them in so many different forms. And that tradition is so important.

4. Lastly I learned that as you eat octopus here, you must be careful because although the head may be cut off from the body, the tentacles still more around and if you don't carefully chew them enough they could try and work their way back up your esophagus after you swallow causing you to possibly choke. I added this in because I am stoked to try all the different foods and delicacies here, plus I love that Ms. Kim warned us about this simultaneously making us cautious while also intriguing our appetites for new experiences.


Tomorrow we get to go to the Korean War Museum, which will hopefully hit home for us all about why we are here and a history of brave men and women who came before us both.




No comments:

Post a Comment